Strategic Planning for Media Production and Distribution Businesses
Outsourcing Cost / Benefit Calculator✱ see instructions below
This Cost/Benefit Calculator is based on a more full-featured template Willis Group has utilized in evaluating outsourcing options for our clients.
Given the current CPB Healthy Networks Grant initiative to encourage outsourcing Public TV master control playout, we are pleased to make this free generic version available to assist those who are currently evaluating costs/benefits associated with outsourcing.
To be sure, there are many variables to consider, so our evaluations are typically highly customized to address a client's unique situation. While a customized evaluation would be ideal to address your specific circumstances, this generic version of our calculator should provide valuable insights.
Each of the yellow-shaded cells is a variable used in calculating costs/benefits. Clicking on a cell will reveal instructions for entering a value.
Not all fields are necessarily applicable to every television station. Fill in those that apply, and skip those that don't.
Summary results are displayed in a graph next to the Assumptions section.
- a green column represents cumulative net benefits (savings) from outsourcing master control playout through a given year
- a red column represents cumulative net costs (losses) from outsourcing master control playout through a given year
- – light purple for capital and operating costs to continue local origination
- – aqua for capital and operating costs associated with outsourcing
- – grey for cost-benefit analyses comparing outsourcing to local origination
- – Net Annual Benefit (Cost) of Outsourcing = annual local master control cost MINUS annual outsourcing cost
- – Net Cummulative Benefit (Cost) of Outsourcing = previous year cummulative Benefit (Cost) PLUS current year annual Benefit (Cost)
- – NPV Cummulative Benefit (Cost) of Outsourcing = NPV of previous year cummulative Benefit (Cost) PLUS current year annual Benefit (Cost)
Master Cost Model
Calculations for Summary Results described above are performed in the Master Cost Model. Scroll down beyond Summary Results to view the entire model, including all detailed computations.
To save or print a copy of your results, use the download link at the bottom of the spreadsheet window. Scroll to the bottom of the spreadsheet and click this icon in the bottom right corner.
Open the downloaded file, and print a report from within your local spreadsheet application.
To evaluate another scenario with different assumptions, you may do one of the following:
- – modify variables in the online spreadsheet on this page, and then download the file again
- – open the downloaded file locally, and modify using your spreadsheet application
If you prefer, we invite you to contact us, and we will collaborate with you to generate one or more reports – with your data – at no charge.
We hope this free calculator proves useful. Please feel free to contact us with any questions and/or comments. Note: our response times may be slow, for reasons explained on our home page.